& Responsible Sourcing
The properties of low weight, high strength, corrosion resistance and durability are well known to specifiers of aluminium construction products; however, aluminium is arguably the optimum material from an environmental perspective too.
Aluminium is a circular material: The metal is not consumed during its lifetime, but simply reused through recycling at the end of its product-life. This can take place not just once, but infinitly, and always without detriment to its physical properties or its atomic structure. Effectively, users of aluminium hold the material on trust for future generations rather than consuming it within its current application. This fact makes aluminium a truly sustainable building material.
Recycling aluminium products only emits 5% of the greenhouse gas produced in primary aluminium production. On that basis alone it will be unsurprising to find that the aluminium recycling industry has grown threefold in just 3 decades. Dales are fully committed to recycling all aluminium and other metals that cannot be further utilised for production.
Its recognised that the use of sustainable building materials is just one component of an environmentally challenging matrix, but by choosing construction products manufactured from aluminium then you are a choosingsystems that have made a positive, sustainable and long term impact to the environment. This is true not just in the present but for future generations as the aluminium is endlessly recycled.
Dales Fabrications Limited recognises that we have a responsibility to the environment beyond legal and regulatory requirements and to operate in a sustainable manner.
We are committed to reducing our environmental impact and continually improving our environmental performance as an integral part of our business strategy and operating methods.
We encourage customers, suppliers, and other stakeholders to do the same.
Our organisation’s top management is responsible for ensuring that this environmental policy is implemented and that our environmental performance continually improves. However, all employees have a responsibility to ensure that the aims and objectives of this policy are met, and this policy is regularly communicated with them.
This policy is also made available to any interested parties.
This policy is subject to annual review.
Our Environmental Policy Aims
As individuals and as an organisation we will:
• Keep waste to a minimum by doing everything we reasonably can to prevent, reuse, recycle or recover waste (in that order).
• Sort and store waste safely and securely wherever practicable.
• Seek to maintain awareness of and comply with and exceed where possible all relevant regulatory requirements, maintaining appropriate records.
• Complete documentation as required for each load of waste that leaves our premises.
• Carry out all reasonable checks that our waste carrier is registered to deal with our waste.
• Do everything we reasonably can to ensure our waste carrier does not deal with our waste illegally.
• Seek to continually monitor and improve environmental performance, reducing environmental disturbance
• Work to incorporate environmental factors into business decisions as far as reasonably practicable.
• Seek to increase employee awareness and training with respect to the protection of the environment.
A Permenant Material
Aluminium Aluminium is a “permanent” material, which means that its inherent properties do not change after repeated recycling.
Wherever practicable, we are committed to:
• Promoting the recycling of aluminium and the identification and sorting of scrap for closed loop recycling.
• Processing our aluminium scrap through a reputable, registered scrap metal dealer with the relevant licences and permissions in place, in compliance with the Scrap Metal Dealer’s Act 2013.
• Submitting monthly aluminium scrap tonnage returns to the CAB Closed Loop Recycling Scheme.
• Contributing to the development of the aluminium closed loop recycling value chain, for both pre- and post-consumer scrap.
• Encouraging awareness that scrap is an important resource and maximising the quantity and quality of recovered aluminium scrap in the UK to build the circular economy.
Energy and water
• We will seek to monitor and reduce the amount of energy used as much as possible, including in our production operations and transportation, regularly maintaining equipment and machines
• When possible, lighting and electrical equipment will be switched off when not in use.
• Heating controls will be regularly adjusted with energy consumption in mind.
Signed for and on behalf of Dales Fabrications Ltd
Karl Prosser (Managing Director)
Date: 14th July 2020
Most recent review date:10th July 2020
Next review date:9th July 2021
Responsible Sourcing: A Fundamental Principle
The Responsible Sourcing Policy of Dales Fabrications Ltd (“the Company”) is to ensure, so far as it is reasonably practicable, that its operations will be carried out with a commitment to ensuring that it operates Responsible Sourcing when procuring materials and services from its suppliers and subcontractors. The same commitment will be expected to be shown by contractors & other suppliers working for the company.
This is a fundamental principle of the Company’s business.
The Company aims to establish a high priority of its principles in the corporate strategy. Concern and awareness for the environment and society through the operation of a responsible sourcing policy is ultimately the responsibility of the Directors of the Company, but all staff are expected to adhere to the principles of responsible sourcing.
Compliance With Relevant Environmental Legislation & Regulation
The Company therefore seeks to comply with all relevant environmental legislation and regulation. It also aims to establish higher standards of environmental performance where these are practicable and appropriate, which includes the operation of its responsible sourcing policy.
The Company’s employees have a legal and moral obligation to carry out their duties with concern for the environment through responsible sourcing. All Company employees must adhere to the aims and objectives of this Policy.
Contractors & Suppliers Are Required To Adopt Responsible Sourcing
All contractors working on behalf of the Company are required to adopt responsible sourcing standards fully consistent with those of the Company and they are expected to achieve comparable levels of performance.
In the event that a material or supplier is not compliant with Dales’ responsible sourcing policy, it is a Company requirement that the details of the contravention are promptly and properly reported to the Directors who will investigate and take prompt action to make good and avoid recurrence.
Dales operates ISO 9001:2015 quality assurance, responsible sourcing and an environmental policy, proof of which, including our current ISO 9001:2015 certificate are available on our website at https://.dales-eaves.co.uk.
All major suppliers hold ISO 9001
Dales operate a policy of responsible procurement with all our major suppliers being ISO 9001 quality assured, which ensures traceability.
As at January 2020: All major suppliers of raw materials to Dales all hold ISO 9001, these include our suppliers of:
• aluminium sheet,
• aluminium extrusion and
The majority of our aluminium extrusion profiles are supplied by a UK extruder with both ISO 9001 & ISO 14001
Both our major fixings manufacturers hold both ISO 9001 & ISO 14001
All the major architectural polyester brands that we use hold ISO 9001 & ISO 14001
Our metal scrap waste providers hold ISO 9001 & ISO 14001 and OHSAS18001.
All of our subcontract powder coating applicators, like our own plant are ISO 9001 Quality Assured.
A number of our suppliers also hold ISO 14001, however, at present there are not enough suppliers with ISO 14001 to make it commercially viable for us to insist that all our suppliers attain it.
We are unaware presently whether any of our suppliers hold BES 6001 certification.
The policy statement will be regularly reviewed and updated as necessary. The management team endorses these policy statements and is fully committed to their implementation.
This Responsible Source Policy Statement has been approved & authorised by:
Kathryn Prosser, Company Secretary
1st January 2020
sales enquiries: national
Contact Michael Pritchett
t: 07501 934885
London & the south
Contact Colin Dales
t: 07970 281349
Midlands, Wales & the north
Contact Tom Strickland
t: 07773 028063
Contact Colin Dales
t: 07970 281349
In Case of an Emergency at Our Premises out of hours
Please Call The Duty Director
Tel: 0115 989 8760